Sunday, August 06, 2006

CHILUKUR BALAJI TEMPLE A.K.A. VISA TEMPLE

Very rarely I visit temples, yet I’ve been to many important temples in India like Madurai Meenakshi, Kashi, Thirupati etc. My recent Visit was to Chilukur Balaji Temple. Of course the visit was not a pre planed one as usual, I had gone there only to accompany Hari. Hari had a wish fulfilled, so he was supposed to make 108 rounds around the temple. The general rule of the temple is that you have to make 11 rounds when you ask for a wish to be fulfilled. Once this wish is fulfilled you have to make 108 rounds.
Preparations
Apart from wearing clean clothes, head bath etc. (which are essential to go to any other temple), and one has to carry a book or a paper and a pencil or pen. This is to record the no. Of revolutions (!!!) you make around the temple. And Yeah! You must also have a clear idea of the Purpose of your visit. I had thought of three wishes to ask for. That means I got to make thirty-three rounds. If any of these wishes come true I have to make 108 rounds for each wish. That means if all the wishes come true I got to make 324(3*108) rounds. Actually I had many more wishes to ask for but considering the risk and significance of my wishes, I restricted myself to3!
Getting there
The best way to go to Chilukur is to go to Mehdipatnam and then go by an exclusive bus to Chilukur Balaji temple. The bus stop is right in front of elixir bakery. The route that the bus takes is the one by which we used to go to college every day for 4 years: Oh!! This made me nostalgic. I wanted all those college days back. But 4km away from college, the bus took a diversion. Only Chilukur Balaji and I know how much I wished the bus hadn’t taken the diversion. The route from there was very beautiful and sceneric.
The difference
After 45 minutes of journey from mehdipatnam we reached Chilukur. As I got down, I could see what makes this temple different from others. There were hoardings and advertisement banners of many coaching institutes, which teach JAVA, SAP, .Net, etc. Also Advertisements of consultants for overseas studies, advertisements of men’s hostel, women’s hostel etc. There were a no. Of young men and women wandering around. Wandering around because I found many so-called-couples there. Should I call them yuppies!! Of course I can as some of them might have come with their wish fulfilled.
For a moment I wondered whether I’ve come to a wrong place, in a college festival or a job fair. I confirmed once I got inside the temple. I was taken aback at first. So many people were rushing, walking fast around the temple with some of them running around. We found gaps and went for ‘Dharshan’. This is the only temple probably where you don’t need to give any ‘Dhakshina’. I asked for my 3 wishes. Now came the difficult task of walking around the temple. 33 seemed easy! I started walking at the speed of the crowd. 5 minutes passed and I made only 2 rounds. That means it is going to take one hour to complete the whole thing. I thought of giving up. The Pujari announcing that we can make half the rounds today and the rest latter followed this. Very cooperative pujari! I thought for a while and continued at least to make half of them. I started walking fast and as I walked I made some strange observations.
Unlike other temples, which are meant for oldies, this temple had many young people, which make 90% of the visitors. The average age of the crowd would be somewhere between 23 and 25. People were walking very fast as if they would miss some train if they don’t. I could hear some people saying “81 over”, “only 35”, “10 more left” etc. of course they were referring to the no.of rounds they have made. I heard names of many places most of them in the U.S. like “ Mississippi! Such a cold place yaa”, “Illinois! Good!” “ Is that a state university in Chicago?” etc. Those were the places where many are willing to go for higher studies. And then “when?” This is a big question as they were asking for their date of appointment in the American consulate for visa (the reason for which many come here) or their departure. “21st July”,“23rd July”, “3rd august” etc. came the answers. And also there was one stranger thing in this temple. Apart from the usual devotional songs I could hear some songs like “it’s the time for disco”, “bheegay hoont therey” etc. which of course came from the I-pods or the mobile phones of these youngsters.
By the time I made 20, I felt a little tired. I thought of giving up. But then, I saw a limp man walking with the help of his crutches. He was also in the crowd making rounds around the temple. I followed him. By the time he made one, I made 2 or sometimes 3. I wondered when he would finish making rounds. Yet in his face and body language, I could find the determination to finish. His determination was my first source of inspiration. The second source being the pretty lady in orange and copper sulphate blue dress. She too seemed very determined. I couldn’t take my eyes off her, such se** (oh! Sorry govinda! Govinda! ) And beautiful she was. Then I looked at Hari who also seemed determined to finish. I looked at the other devotees and drew inspiration from them. I kept walking at a speed of one round in 45-50 seconds. Two hours passed and I had completed 108! Rounds. Then I reminded myself that I was supposed to do only 33. I’m done with 75(108-33) extra rounds. Then I thought ‘ let this be a down payment. The rest will be paid in installments as and when my wishes come true.
I wonder how successful GOD would be in granting my wishes, but this visit to the temple thought me what determination was, especially the determination shown by the limp man. Also a sense of satisfaction as I finished 108 rounds made me happy. I’m as every body who finishes their 108 rounds would be happy. I wondered for a moment how much satisfaction that limp man might have got. For I also wished that my 75 rounds down-payment be transferred into his account.

1 Comments:

At 3:53 AM, Blogger yossarain said...

i have not yet gone to it..but i soon will...

and ya good start up..make sure you can maintain the tempo..

great going ...get your members together

 

Post a Comment

<< Home